The purpose of the Review is to focus attention on the problems in regard to which lawyers can make their contribution to society in their respective areas of influence and to provide them with the necessary information and data.
The Council of Ministers of the 21 member Council of Europe, on the recommendation of the Consultative Assembly, has awarded the first European Human Rights Prize to the International Commission of Jurists. This is in recognition of its work for the promotion, understanding and observance of the rule of law and the legal protection of human rights throughout the world, and its action within the United Nations and the Council of Europe against torture. The ICJ is deeply honoured and very encouraged by this recognition of its work.
In addition, this edition features articles on:
- Human rights in the world:
- -UN Sub-Commission
- -Copenhagen Conference on UN Decade for Women
- -Human Rights Committee
- -Administrative law: civil and common law systems, by J. F. Garner
- -Code of marketing for breastmilk substitutes, by James E. Post and Edward Baer
- Judicial application of the rule of law: Filartiga v. Peña. Torture in International Law
- Basic texts: Riobamba charter of conduct