SECTION 3. Terrorism, How Committed. – Terrorism is committed by any person or group of persons, whether natural or juridical, through premeditated, threatened, or actual use of violence, force, coercion, intimidation, or any other means of destruction perpetrated against persons, property lies, environment or the government, with the intention of creating or sowing a state of danger, panic, fear or chaos to the general public or a segment thereof by any of the following acts:
- Causing or threatening to cause death or serious physical or mental harm to a person or group of persons;
- Depriving or threatening to deprive any person of his/her liberty;
- Assassinating or kidnapping the officials within the constitutional line, of succession, or any internationally protected person in violation of the Convention on the Protection and Punishment of Crimes Against Internationally Protected Persons, including Diplomatic Agents, and other international agreements;
- Causing or threatening to cause serious risk to the health or safety of the general public or any segment thereof;
- Causing or threatening to cause substantial damage or wanton destruction or resorting to arson on critical infrastructure or any property, public or private;
- Causing or threatening to cause serious interference with or serious disruption of an essential service, facility or system, whether public or private, other than a result of lawful advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work;
- Attacking or threatening to attack the cyberspace, by destroying the actual machinery of the information and communication infrastructure, disrupting the information technology underlying the internet, government or private computer networks or systems, or committing any unlawful act against information and communication systems;
- Hijacking or threatening to hijack any kind of aircraft, electric or railroad train, passenger bus or other means of mass transportation, or public conveyance, or piracy of ship or sea vessel;
- Willfully destroying the environment including the natural resources in land, water or air, such as forests or marine and mineral resources, or intentionally causing oil or toxic spillages, or other similar acts of destruction against the environment that threatens ecological security, or natural cultural property;
- Manufacturing, processing, selling, acquiring, possessing, using, diverting, supplying or transporting chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear agents, or equipment and instruments used in their production, distribution, release or spread that would endanger directly or indirectly the safety of one or more individuals, or to cause mass destruction or great damage to property; or
- Manufacturing, selling, acquiring, supplying, disposing, using ‘ or possessing explosives, bombs, grenades, projectiles, devices or other lethal weapons, or substances or machinery used or intended to be used for the manufacture of explosives in furtherance of, or incident to, or; in connection with, an act of terrorism defined herein.
Any person who commits any act of terrorism shall suffer the penalty of life imprisonment and a fine of ten million pesos (Php 10,000,000.00): Provided, that, if an act of terrorism should result in the death of a person, or if committed with the use of uniform, paraphernalia, communication equipment, or other implements peculiar to, the armed forces or other law enforcement agencies, or if the offender is a government official or employee or has retired, resigned, dismissed or otherwise separated from the government service, the penalty of death shall be imposed.
SECTION 7. Making False Threats of Acts of Terrorism. – It shall be unlawful for any person to:
1.Communicate or make available by any means, any information which he/she knows or believes to be false to another person with the intention of inducing in him/her any other person a false belief that a terrorist act has been, is being or will be carried out; or
2.Place any article or substance in any place, or dispatch any article or substance by mail or by any other means of sending things from one place to another, with the intention of inducing in another person a false belief that:
a. The article or substance is likely to explode or ignite and thereby cause personal injury or damage to property; or
b. The article contains or the substance consists of any dangerous, hazardous, radioactive or harmful substance; any toxic chemical; or any microbial or other biological agent, or toxin, that is likely to cause death, disease or personal injury or damage to property.
For purposes of subsections (1) and (2), a reference to a person inducing in another person a false belief does not require the first-mentioned person to have any particular person in mind as the person in whom he/she intends to induce the false belief.
If the false threat did not result to death, disease, personal injury or damage to property, the penalty of imprisonment from six (6) months to one (1) year and a fine of fifty thousand pesos (Php 50,000.00) shall be imposed.
If the false threat resulted to death, disease, personal injury or damage to property, the penalty of imprisonment from one (1) year and one (1) day to six (6) years and a fine of one hundred thousand pesos (Php 100,000.00) shall be imposed.
link to the complete text of the Anti-Terrorism Act: Philippines-Anti-Terrorism Act-2005-eng
Comments are closed.