This Staff Study contains a factual account of the events which occurred in East Pakistan from March to December 1971, together with a discussion of some of the legal issues involved.
The factual account is based partly upon published books, partly upon contemporary newspaper accounts, partly upon sworn depositions of refugees in India, and partly upon oral and written statements of evidence given to the International Commission of Jurists between October 1971 and March 1972. Nearly all these statements have been made by European and American nationals who were in East Pakistan at the time.
The study contains a preface and seven parts:
- Outline of events in East-Pakistan from 1 March to December 1971
- Legal position under Pakistan law
- Legal position under international penal law
- Right to self-determination in international law
- The role of the United Nations
- The role of India
Bangladesh-events East Pakistan 1971-thematic report-1972-eng (full text in English, PDF)ReportsThematic reports