Composed of 60 eminent judges and lawyers from all regions of the world, the International Commission of Jurists promotes and protects human rights through the Rule of Law, by using its unique legal expertise to develop and strengthen national and international justice systems. Established in 1952 and active on the five continents, the ICJ aims to ensure the progressive development and effective implementation of international human rights and international humanitarian law; secure the realization of civil, cultural, economic, political and social rights; safeguard the separation of powers; and guarantee the independence of the judiciary and legal profession.
The ICJ strives for a just society governed by the rule of law where all people can equally enjoy their human rights.
We are global advocates for justice and human rights. Our mission is:
- To ensure that people everywhere can benefit equally from the rule of law and fully enjoy their human rights, and if those rights are violated can seek and receive adequate remedies from courts that are independent, impartial, fair, and effective.
- To work for the progressive development and implementation of international human rights law and standards in response to the great threats to human life and dignity of our times, including new challenges posed by catastrophic climate change, the resurgence of authoritarian populism, global pandemics, mass movements of people, and abuse of cyber technologies.
- To assist judges, lawyers and prosecutors to be independent, impartial, and free to carry out their professional duties, in order to ensure the protection and promotion of human rights through the rule of law.
Strategic goals 2021-2025
- Strategic Goal 1: Develop, Defend, and Strengthen International Institutions, Instruments and Standards on Rule of Law and Human Rights
- Strategic Goal 2: Improve Domestic Implementation of, and Compliance with, International Law and Standards
- Strategic Goal 3: Bolster the Effectiveness and Independence of Judges and Lawyers
- Strategic Goal 4: Improve Access to Justice for all and Accountability
ICJ Strategic Plan 2021-2025 (PDF)
You can download the ICJ statutes here:
Statuts CIJ – Final 2012 (French)