Event: transnational injustices – renditions, expulsions, and abductions of persons accused of terrorism

Event: transnational injustices – renditions, expulsions, and abductions of persons accused of terrorism

The ICJ, the Center for Human Rights and Global Justice and Amnesty International invite you today to an event to discuss challenges in prevention of, and accountability for, violations of human rights in the US-led rendition system, and in transfers of suspects in the CIS region.

Join us for a moderated discussion marking the U.S. launch of the International Commission of Jurists’ report, Transnational Injustices: National Security Transfers and International Law.

Panelists will discuss the ongoing practice of states unlawfully rendering people accused of terrorism, particularly in Russia and Central Asia, and explore the extent to which the impact of the CIA’s notorious extraordinary renditions can still be felt today.

When: Monday, October 16, 2017 – 12:45 pm to 2:15 pm

Where: Lester Pollack Colloquium Room – Furman Hall, 9th Floor, NYU School of Law – 245 Sullivan Street, New York City

RSVP here

Refreshments will be served

Speakers:

  • Sam Zia-Zarifi, Secretary General, ICJ
  • Róisín Pillay, European and CIS Programme Director, ICJ
  • Margaret Satterthwaite, JD ’99, Professor of Clinical Law, NYU School of Law

Moderated by Julia Hall, Expert on Counter-Terrorism and Human Rights, Amnesty International

A flyer for this event is available in PDF format by clicking here.

Tajikistan: the life and physical integrity of lawyer Buzurgmehr Yorov must be protected

Tajikistan: the life and physical integrity of lawyer Buzurgmehr Yorov must be protected

Tajikistan should take urgent action to ensure the protection of Buzurgmehr Yorov, a lawyer serving a 28-year sentence in prison, following his conviction being based on clearly improper charges related to the defense of his clients, the ICJ said today.

The ICJ is aware that Bugurgmehr Yorov has been subjected to acts amounting to torture or other ill-treatment.

The responsible authorities must ensure that such ill-treatment immediately ceases and that allegations that Buzurgmehr Yorov’s rights that have been violated are promptly and thoroughly investigated by an independent body.

Anyone responsible for violations of his rights must be held accountable and brought to justice, as required under Tajikistan law as well as international human rights treaties to which Tajikistan is a party.

Buzurgmekhr Yorov was arrested two years ago on 28 September 2015, on charges of “fraud” and “forgery of documents.”

Later, he was accused of violating three more articles of the Criminal Code, including in relation to alleged “public calls for extremist activity.”

On 6 October 2016, The Dushanbe City Court sentenced Yorov to 23 years imprisonment in a strict regime prison.

In March this year, Yorov was sentenced to an additional two years’ deprivation of liberty for “contempt of court and insulting the representative of power.”

In August 2017, he received a further three years sentence on charges of “insulting the president.”

On 27 September 27 2017, Hurinniso Ishokova, mother of Buzurgmehr Yorov, obtained permission to visit her son in a pre-trial detention facility, for the first time in nine months.

Following the visit, she alleged that her son had been systematically beaten by prison staff during the whole period of his detention, and that in the last month the beatings had intensified.

She also said that at an unspecified time during his detention Buzurgmehr Yorov had been admitted to the hospital at the pre-trial facility.

After several days of treatment, he was again sent back and the beatings by prison staff resumed.

According to his mother, these beatings were accompanied by insults, humiliation and threats. Reportedly, on three recent occasions Buzurgmkhar Yorov was placed in a punishment cell for several days.

On September 28, 2017 the head of the pre-trial facility rejected all claims that Buzurgmkhar Yorov had been subjected to torture or other ill-treatment.

Background:

The ICJ has, on a number of occasions, expressed its serious concerns over the arrest and conviction of Buzurgmehr Yorov and other lawyers in Tajikistan.

The ICJ is concerned that Buzurgmehr Yorov’s conviction may constitute a reprisal for his defense work in high-profile political trials in connection with his representation of thirteen leaders of the Islamic Renaissance Party of Tajikistan (IRPT).

See:

https://www.icj.org/tajikistan-long-prison-sentences-for-lawyers-endangers-the-fairness-of-the-justice-system/

https://www.icj.org/tajikistan-arrest-of-lawyer-raises-concern-over-reprisals-for-defense-of-clients/

https://www.icj.org/tajikistan-icj-concerned-at-arrest-of-lawyer/

Tajikistan is a party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the UN Convention against Torture (CAT) both of which enshrine the absolute prohibition on torture or other cruel inhuman and degrading treatment, and require that allegations of such ill-treatment should be subject to independent, thorough and prompt investigation, and that perpetrators of crimes of torture should be brought to justice.

According to UN Basic Principles on the Role of Lawyers, lawyers “shall not suffer, or be threatened with, prosecution or administrative, economic or other sanctions for any action taken in accordance with recognized professional duties, standards and ethics.” (Principle 16(c)).

Yorov_statement_rus (Russian translation – pdf)

Spain: use of force should be independently investigated

Spain: use of force should be independently investigated

The ICJ today expressed concern at the apparently unlawful violence surrounding yesterday’s referendum in Catalonia, as Catalan authorities sought to hold a vote on the independence of the region. The Spanish Constitutional Court had ruled that the referendum was illegal.

The ICJ calls on all parties concerned to resolve the current crisis in accordance with international human rights law and in the framework of the rule of law.

The ICJ is particularly concerned at allegations of excessive use of force during police operations aimed at enforcing court orders to prevent the referendum being held.

International human rights obligations binding on Spain require that any use of force by agents of the State must be no more than is strictly necessary in the circumstances to meet a grave threat .

All aspects of police operations, including their planning and co-ordination, and the training, guidance and orders given to police officers on the ground, must be designed to minimize the use of physical force.

The ICJ calls for a thorough, prompt and independent investigation into the violence surrounding the referendum, and for those responsible for acts of violence in violation of human rights to be brought to justice.

Background

Spain has obligations to respect the right to life and the right to physical integrity of any person under its jurisdiction under articles 6 and 7 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, and articles 2, 3 and 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

Standards in this regard are re-enforced by the UN Code of Conduct for Law Enforcement Officials and the UN Basic Principles on the Use of Force and Firearms by Law Enforcement Officials.

Positive obligations under these provisions require that allegations of lethal or potentially lethal force, or force that could amount to cruel inhuman or degrading treatment or torture, be the subject of investigation that is independent and impartial, thorough and prompt.

The violence surrounding the referendum on Catalonia’s independence reportedly resulted in injuries to at least 844 civilians and 33 police offices.

Contacts:

Róisín Pillay, ICJ Europe Programme Director, t: +32 2 734 84 46 ; e: roisin.pillay(a)icj.org

Massimo Frigo, ICJ Senior Legal Adviser, t: +41 22 979 3805 ; e: massimo.frigo(a)icj.org

Event: renditions, extraditions and human rights

Event: renditions, extraditions and human rights

At a side event to the UN Human Rights Council on 22 September, the ICJ will discuss challenges in prevention of, and accountability for, violations of human rights in the US-led rendition system, and in the CIS region.

The event will address as well the challenges of extraditions, expulsions and renditions of national security suspects in CIS and EU countries.

The panel discussion is being held as part of the launch of the ICJ report Transnational Injustices – National Security Transfers and International Law, which analyses recent experiences of national security transfers in the CIS region, and makes recommendations for change based on international human rights law and comparative experiences.

The event will take place at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Friday 22 September at 14:00 – 15:00 at Room no. XXIII.

Panelists:

  • Julia Hall, Expert on Counter Terrorism and Human Rights – Amnesty International
  • Bartłomiej Jankowski, Lawyer of Guantanamo detainee and rendition victim Abu Zubaydah
  • Massimo Frigo, ICJ Legal Adviser
  • Irina Urumova, Independent Justice Reform Consultant

Copies of the report in English will be available for the persons attending the meeting.

A flyer for this event is available in PDF format by clicking here.

For more information, contact massimo.frigo(a)icj.org and/or un(a)icj.org

Translate »