ICJ comments on Universal Periodic Review of Russian Federation
The ICJ commented on the UPR of the Russian Federation, addressing issues including torture and ill-treatment, impunity, judicial independence, NGO laws and “homosexual propaganda” bans.
The International Commission of Jurists has brought to the attention of the Human Rights Council’s Working Group on the UPR and to the Human Rights Council issues concerning:
- prevention of torture and ill-treatment and other gross human rights violations;
- impunity for gross human rights violations;
- independence of the judiciary; amendments to NGO laws;
- non-refoulement; homosexual propaganda bans; and
- Russia’s engagement with international human rights instruments and mechanisms.
Russia-ICJ comments on UPR-non-legal-submission-2012 (download the ICJ submission)AdvocacyNon-legal submissions