Summary of strategies and activities of the ICJ secretariat in 1999.
The report describes the work done by the ICJ in the framework of its priority objectives for 1999-2003.
- Promotion of effective human rights mechanisms, norms and their implementation – projects in relation to the UN Commission on Human Rights and Sub-Commission, standard-setting, UN Treaty Bodies, African Commission, OAU Council, NGO meeting Nairobi, domestic application of norms, European Convention, European Conference against Racism, Kyrgyzstan
- Fighting impunity: projects in relation to ICC Preparatory Committee, Pinochet
- Promoting and protecting all human rights with an emphasis on economic, social and cultural rights: Optional Protocol, European Social Charter, Macedonia, African regional seminar, seminar in Sri Lanka, fact-finding missions to Mexico, Indonesia, Botswana
- Promotion and protection of the independence of judges and lawyers: CIJL cases, workshop on Northern Ireland, missions to Malaysia and Turkey, trial observation, Attacks on justice, Africa mission
- Ensuring the observance of the rule of law in the context of globalisation: CIJL publications on judiciary and globalisation
- Miscellaneous: Conference European sections.
ICJ-annual report-1999-eng (full text in English, PDF)