This side event at the Human Rights Council takes place on Tuesday, 26 June, 14:00-15:00, room XXVII of the Palais des Nations. It is organized by the ICJ and the International Bar Association’s Human Rights Institute (IBAHRI).
In recent years, lawyers have increasingly been targeted across the world including Eastern Europe and Central Asia. Attempts to impede the work of lawyers through arbitrary disbarments and other disciplinary procedures, criminal or administrative proceedings, physical attacks or intimidation have become an unfortunate new normality in many lawyers’ work.
Lawyers are too often identified with their clients’ cause or specifically targeted in violation of their right to freedom of expression. This side event will discuss challenges faced by lawyers in defending human rights in Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Ukraine.
Moderator: Róisín Pillay, ICJ Europe and CIS Programme Director
- Helene Santos, Senior Fellow–UN Liaison Officer in Geneva for the IBAHRI
- Fariz Namazov, Lawyer, Member of the Azerbaijan Bar Association
- Hanna Boryak, Lawyer, Chair of the Committee for the Protection of Advocates’ Rights and advocacy at the Ukrainian National Bar Association
- Iurii Grygorenko, Lawyer, member of the Committee for the Protection of Advocates’ Rights and Advocacy at the Ukrainian National Bar Association
- Temur Shakirov, ICJ Senior Legal Adviser Europe and CIS Programme