Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, A/HRC/25/55/Add.3, 28 February 2014: Republic of Moldova
288. JUA 08/02/2013 Case no: MDA 1/2013 State reply: 09/04/2013
Alleged risks to the physical and psychological integrity of two representatives of the GENDERDOC-M Information Centre, in view of insults and threats received during court hearings.
289. JAL 17/05/2013 Case no: MDA 2/2013 State reply: 28/06/2013
Allegations relating to a re-routing of the 2013 Chisinau Pride Parade.
289. JAL 29/07/2013 Case no: MDA 4/2013 State reply: 08/11/2013
Alleged risk of restrictions on the rights to freedom of expression, association and peaceful assembly.
290. The Special Rapporteur welcomes the responses to all three communications sent during the present reporting period.
However, the Special Rapporteur expresses concern at the hostile environment in which human rights defenders promoting the rights of the LGBTI community operate in the Republic of Moldova. In this connection, she would like to reiterate her concerns in the communication dated 29 July 2013 regarding the adoption on 23 May 2013 of Law no. 117 to amend the Contravention Code no. 218-XVI of 29 October 2008. Specifically, the amendment to article 90 on public activity with a negative impact on minors now stipulates that the distribution of public information (with or without criminal intent) on “relations other than those of the family and marriage as specified in the Family Code” will entail sanctions. The Special Rapporteur acknowledges the Ministry of Interior’s Implementation Instruction for article 90, dated 26 July 2013, and expresses her sincere hope that authorities will adopt the necessary measures to ensure that defenders working for the rights of the LGBTI community can work in a safe and enabling environment without fear of violence or harassment of any sort.
Link to full text of the report: Report-SRHRD-Communications and replies-2014-eng-fra-esp
Link to Special Rapporteur’s correspondence with the State:
- Correspondence-SR-Moldova-1-2013-eng (MDA 1/2013)
- Correspondence-SR-Moldova-2-2013-eng (MDA 2/2013)
- Correspondence-SR-Moldova-4-2013-eng (MDA 4/2013)
Link to State’s reply: