Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, A/HRC/25/55/Add.3, 28 February 2014: The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia
259. JUA 17/05/2013 Case no: MKD 1/2013 State reply: 21/06/2013
Alleged attack on LGBT rights defenders.
260. JUA 05/07/2013 Case no: MKD 2/2013 State reply: none to date
Allegations of on-going harassment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) rights defenders.
261. The Special Rapporteur thanks the Government for the reply transmitted to one of the two communications sent during the reporting period but regrets that, at the time of finalising this report, no response had been received to the communication sent on 5 July 2013. Concerning attacks and harassment of LGBTI defenders, the Special Rapporteur takes note that an investigation is underway and looks forward to receiving additional information on the allegation in the communication sent on 17 May 2013.
262. Given the nature and profile of the allegations received during the reporting period, the Special Rapporteur would like to express her concern regarding the physical and psychological integrity of those working and advocating for the rights of LGBTI people and working to promote equality and non-discrimination, particularly in exercising their right to freedom of opinion and expression and of peaceful assembly.
Link to full text of the report: Report-SRHRD-Communications and replies-2014-eng-fra-esp
Link to Special Rapporteur’s correspondence with the State:
- Correspondence-SR-FormerYugoslavRepofMacedonia-1-2013-eng (MKD 1/2013)
- Correspondence-SR-FormerYugoslavRepofMacedonia-2-2013-eng (MKD 2/2013)
Link to State’s reply: Correspondence-SR-FormerYugoslavRepofMacedonia-1-reply-2013-eng (MKD 1/2013)