Report of the Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders, A/HRC/25/55/Add.3, 28 February 2014: Zambia
480. JAL 14/05/2013 Case no: ZMB 1/2013 State reply: 13/08/2013 28/08/2013
Alleged criminal charges against human rights defenders and alleged Government campaign against defenders working on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex rights.
481. JAL 21/10/2013 Case no: ZMB 2/2013 State reply: none to date
Alleged undue interference with the work and organizational structure of civil society organizations
482. The Special Rapporteur welcomes the response from the Zambian Government to her communication dated 14 May 2013 and its assurances that consultations are being undertaken and that a response will be provided as soon as all information has been collated. She trusts that a substantive response will be provided shortly to the concerns raised therein regarding allegations of harassment of the LGBTI community and in particular those working peacefully to ensure the basic rights of LGBTI individuals. The Special Rapporteur regrets that she has not received a reponse to the other communication sent during the reporting period.
Link to full text of the report: Report-SRHRD-Communications and replies-2014-eng-fra-esp
Link to Special Rapporteur’s correspondence with the State:
- Correspondence-SR-Zambia-1-2013-eng (ZMB 1/2013)
- Correspondence-SR-Zambia-2-2013-eng (ZMB 2/2013)
Link to State’s reply:
- Correspondence-SR-Zambia-reply1-1-2013-eng (first reply to ZMB 1/2013)
- Correspondence-SR-Zambia-reply2-1-2013-eng (second reply to ZMB 1/2013)