The ICJ and other NGOs have jointly issued a checklist of key criteria for the selection and appointment of new members for the UN Working Group on the issue of discrimination against women in law and in practice.
The Human Rights Council will appoint four new members of the UN Working Group at its 36th regular session in September 2017. The deadline for applications of candidates expired on 1 June 2017.
The proposed criteria were developed by:
- Amnesty International
- Alkarama Foundation
- Global Initiative for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- International Commission of Jurists
- International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association
- International Service for Human Rights
- World Organization against Torture
The NGO’s called on States, NGOs and others, including relevant professional networks, to use the prepared checklist to identify eligible candidates, the strongest of whom should meet a substantial number of the criteria.
Joint NGO-Criteria UNWG Discrimination Against Women-Advocacy-Open Letter-ENG (criteria checklist, PDF)AdvocacyOpen letters