The End of the Rule of Law? Panel discussion
The ICJ will present a panel discussion on the continued role of the rule of law in the 70th anniversary year of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on Monday 16 April, 18.30-20.00, Room C1, Maison de la Paix, Geneva.
In a global context where pushback against rights protection is becoming increasingly more pronounced this panel discussion, organized in co-ordination with the Graduate Institute and supported by the Permanent Mission of Germany, will address critical areas of concern for the rule of law in upholding the universal rights set out in the UDHR 70 years ago.
The event, composed of diplomats, academics and legal experts from around the world, will look at issues around the realisation of rights set out in the UDHR, particularly in relation to gender and women’s rights, and will consider how these have been implemented domestically as well as how breaches of the UDHR have been treated as international crime.
Panellists will also comment on the role of the rule of law as set out in the Sustainable Development Goals in ensuring rights protection as an essential element of sustainable development.
The event will also assess how problems in human rights frameworks can be addressed in a way that strengthens the rule of law and human rights and will consider the increasing role of developing countries in taking ownership of the international rights framework initiated by the UDHR.
- Saman Zia-Zarifi, Secretary General of the ICJ
- Carlos Ayala, ICJ Vice-President and former Chair of the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- Andrew Clapham, Professor of Public International Law, The Graduate Institute, Geneva; Member of the UN Commission on Human Rights in South Sudan
- Luis Gallegos, Permanent Representative of Ecuador to the United Nations in Geneva
- Sanji Monageng, ICJ Commissioner and Judge at the International Criminal Court, The Hague
- Patricia Schulz, Member of the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women
- Robert Goldman, Acting ICJ President and Professor of Law, Washington College of Law, American University, Member of Eminent Jurists Panel on Terrorism, Counter-terroism and Human Rights
Sign up to the event via the link on the Graduate Institute’s website.
Universal – Rule of Law UDHR 70 – News – Events – 2018 – ENG (Event flyer in PDF)